Just like other areas of your home, plumbing and mechanical problems can cause water damage in the basement. Cleaning is going to be the beginning of the restoration process. You need to know what to do for the preparations to get ready for restorations.
The preparations will include work to prepare your home for the repairs and improvements that are needed. You may want to save personal items in your home. Sometimes, you will also be able to get started with the demolition.
Assess The Damage Before Cleaning
There is damage to start cleaning when mechanical systems fail in your basement. Assess the extent of the damage to your home. If possible, keep affected areas isolated to where you have the plumbing or mechanical problems. Look for the following issues when assessing the damage:
- Assess the extent of the damage and where the water is getting into your home.
- Look for the location of the mechanical problem or leak that is causing the water damage.
- Assess if the damage is old and look for potential mold problems that need to be addressed.
Once you have assessed the water damage to your home, remove your personal property.
Remove Personal Objects And Furniture
Personal property needs to be saved before you begin repairs. Make sure to remove all your furniture, pictures and other personal items. Some of the materials can be saved, and some of the property can be restored. The following tips will help with the restoration of your personal property before beginning the water damage restorations:
- Remove electronics and dry them to try to clean them with alcohol.
- Make sure dry papers, pictures, and books are removed to store in a safe area.
- Remove any fabrics to be cleaned and dried before they are too damaged.
- Clean and dry pieces of furniture to store in a dry place until you can repair them.
These are some of the things that will help with the restoration of personal property. Try to prioritize what you want to try to save and sort the objects that can be thrown away with other materials.
Be Aware Of Water Damage Hazards
When you are preparing to begin water damage restorations, there are several hazards that you need to be aware of. Some of the problems that you want to be aware of before you begin cleaning include:
- Electricity and utilities
- Poor ventilation
These are the hazards that you need to be aware of when it comes to the damage to your home. Make sure that you take the proper safety precautions and contact a professional service for help if you are not sure about the dangers.
Get Started With The Demolition And Cleaning
The first step in water damage restoration is to begin cleaning. This will start with removing any standing water from your home. Once the water is gone, demolition of the most damaged materials can begin. Contact a water damage restoration service for professional help with the cleaning and repairs that need to be done to get your home back to normal.